Report: Future Nordic diets: Exploring ways for sustainably feeding the Nordics
This report from the Nordic Council of Ministers assesses two future food scenarios for the Nordic countries on the basis of nutrition and environmental impacts.
In the first scenario, ruminants are used only to graze semi-natural pastures, while monogastric animals (poultry, pigs and farmed fish) were used only where they could be fed with food byproducts.
In the second scenario, ruminants are also fed with some feed crops grown in organic rotation, and monogastrics have their diet supplemented with feed crops grown on arable land.
The second scenario can feed more people (37 million) than the first (31 million). Both scenarios require a significant decrease in meat consumption compared to current levels (by 90% and 81%, respectively). The report assesses both scenarios in terms of nutrition, land use, climate change, eutrophication and acidification.
Find the full report here and watch a video summary here. One of the authors, Elin Röös, is an FCRN member. There are a number of items in the FCRN library which explore this report’s approach further, including:
- If farm animals only graze pastures and eat by-products – livestock problem solved?
- Protein futures for Western Europe: potential land use and climate impacts in 2050
- Greedy or needy? Land use and climate impacts of food in 2050 under different livestock futures.
See also the Foodsource resource What is a healthy sustainable eating pattern?
Europe is the world's second-smallest continent by surface area, covering just over 10 million square kilometres or 6.8% of the global land area, but it is the third-most populous continent after Asia and Africa, with a population of around 740 million people or about 11% of the world's population. Its climate is heavily affected by warm Atlantic currents that temper winters and summers on much of the continent. In the European Union, farmers represent only 4.7% of the working population, yet manage nearly half of its land area.
More like this
- A future food vision for the Nordic countries
- How Do Dietary Choices Influence the Energy-System Cost of Stabilizing the Climate?
- Greedy or needy? Land use and climate impacts of food in 2050 under different livestock futures
- Paper: Impacts of Feeding Less Food-Competing Feedstuffs to Livestock on Global Food System Sustainability
- Livestock: On our plates or eating at our table?