Film: Our planet, our business, WWF
Conservation NGO WWF has released the 40-minute film “Our planet, our business”, which sets out five principles for businesses to follow in order to protect nature and their own future.
The five principles are:
- Zero carbon - phase out fossil fuels.
- Minimise the space we use - reduce land use, e.g. through technologies to increase yield, selective logging, and growing crops on land that has already been deforested.
- Return the ocean to good health - take only what can be replaced naturally.
- Eliminate waste by using a “circular economy” approach.
- Reimagine success - question the current drive for perpetual economic growth.
Watch the film here. See also the Foodsource chapter Food systems and contributions to other environmental problems.
Europe is the world's second-smallest continent by surface area, covering just over 10 million square kilometres or 6.8% of the global land area, but it is the third-most populous continent after Asia and Africa, with a population of around 740 million people or about 11% of the world's population. Its climate is heavily affected by warm Atlantic currents that temper winters and summers on much of the continent. In the European Union, farmers represent only 4.7% of the working population, yet manage nearly half of its land area.