Investor briefing: Plating up Progress Part 1
This first investor briefing by Plating Up Progress (a Food Foundation and Food Climate Research Network project) looks at the sustainability risks and opportunities that exist for food retailers, caterers and restaurants.
Plating Up Progress Part 1 addresses key areas of interest for food industry investors.
- Critical food-related challenges include climate change, biodiversity loss, water scarcity, obesity and hunger, human rights, animal welfare and antimicrobial resistance.
- To “fix” food we need sustainable food production, food waste reductions and, crucially, dietary shifts.
- Food retailers, caterers and restaurant chains are uniquely placed to influence all three changes we need to see.
- System-wide risks exist if we fail to act urgently.
- Transitional risks and opportunities that concern these food sectors are:
- Shifts in consumer demand
- Increasing regulation around healthy and sustainable food
- Reputation Food supply and price volatility.
- Food businesses that are heavily dependent on revenue from unhealthy and environmentally damaging foods are most at risk.